Tennessee’s Women’s Day on the Hill
ABB cosponsored and spoke at Tennessee’s Women’s Day on the Hill today, where constituents and advocates gathered from across the state to make our voices heard in the Tennessee legislature. We were honored to attend the day with Tarana Burke, creator of the international movement known as #MeToo.
NYC Fights Sexual Harassment
A Better Balance testified in support of a robust package of bills introduced by New York City councilmembers to help combat sexual harassment in the workplace. At a press conference before the hearing, we had the opportunity to share the story of our former client Luisa, who made $10.50/hr working at a supermarket in New York City. Her supervisor repeatedly groped and touched her on the job, and continued to do so even after she got pregnant and asked him to stop, so that he wouldn’t harm her baby. Luisa’s story reinforces why we need stronger training, enforcement, and public education around gender-based harassment
Georgia Pregnant Workers Fairness
Last week the Georgia Pregnant Workers Fairness Act, which we helped to draft, had a hearing for lawmakers. Rep. Cannon (pictured here) told the powerful story of our client, Whitney Tomlinson, in her testimony making the case for this important law.
Salary History Ban
Low wages in the past can lock workers into low wages in the future. That’s why last week A Better Balance and PowHer New York authored a letter signed by over 150 groups, urging members of the New York State Legislature to co-sponsor and support a bill (A.2040C/S.6737A) that would prevent employers from inquiring about or relying upon a job applicant’s salary history, an important measure to close the pay gap.
- Julie Kashen wrote for ABB about the Future of Work and how paid leave laws can be an effective tool to combat the challenges of the “on-demand” economy.
- ABB Co-President Dina Bakst was on the Brian Lehrer show talking about NY’s paid family leave law.
- ABB’s Jared Make is featured in this video about the importance of chosen family in paid leave laws.
- ABB’s Molly Williamson appeared on Arise News to discuss the 25th Anniversary of the FMLA and New York’s paid family leave law.
- Feministing featured an op-ed written by ABB’s Molly Williamson on Millennials’ unique concerns about a national paid leave program.