Category Archives: ~ politics petitions pollution and pop culture

a message from Keith O.


It’s great — read it! Then join 60,000 others in signing the national congrats card to Keith!


Statement To The Viewers Of Countdown

 

I want to sincerely thank you for the honor of your extraordinary and ground-rattling support.

Your efforts have been integral to the remedying of these recent events, and the results should remind us of the power of individuals spontaneously acting together to correct injustices great or small.

[Sign the card to Keith!]

…I also wish to apologize to you viewers for having precipitated such anxiety and unnecessary drama. You should know that I mistakenly violated an inconsistently applied rule – which I previously knew nothing about — that pertains to the process by which such political contributions are approved by NBC.

Certainly this mistake merited a form of public acknowledgment and/or internal warning, and an on-air discussion about the merits of limitations on such campaign contributions by all employees of news organizations.

Instead, after my representative was assured that no suspension was contemplated, I was suspended without a hearing, and learned of that suspension through the media.

[Sign the card to Keith!]

You should also know that I did not attempt to keep any of these political contributions secret; I knew they would be known to you and the rest of the public. I did not make them through a relative, friend, corporation, PAC, or any other intermediary, and I did not blame them on some kind of convenient ‘mistake’ by their recipients.

When a website contacted NBC about one of the donations, I immediately volunteered that there were in fact three of them; and contrary to much of the subsequent reporting, I immediately volunteered to explain all this, on-air and off, in the fashion MSNBC desired.

I genuinely look forward to rejoining you on Countdown on Tuesday, to begin the repayment of your latest display of support and loyalty – support and loyalty that is truly mutual.

BUSH LEGACY: Decision Points Of Failure


President  Bush’s new memoir, Decision Points, hits stores today. In a series of promotional interviews with mainstream and conservative news outlets, Bush opens up about his personal fight with alcoholism, his mother’s traumatic miscarriage, and some of the most defining moments of his presidency. Judging from press accounts, the memoir offers few substantive revelations. It is, as the Washington Post‘s book critic Jonathan Yardley describes it, “not a memoir as the term is commonly understood — an attempt to examine and interpret the writer’s life — but an attempt to write history  before the historians get their hands on it.” Indeed, Bush’s memoir is full of the kind of half truths, stubborn rationalizations, and outright misrepresentations that dominated his eight-year presidency. Throughout the book, Bush admits only to the most cursory of mistakes and communications failures, while defending his most unpopular decisions.

IRAQ — ‘I WAS A DISSENTING VOICE’:   Bush doubles down on the disastrous war in Iraq, writing, “Saddam Hussein didn’t just pursue weapons of mass destruction. He had used them.” “He deployed mustard gas and nerve agents against the Iranians and massacred more than five thousand innocent civilians,” Bush said, adding that he believed Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and was stunned to find out that he didn’t. It was “unbelievably frustrating,” Bush told Fox News‘ Sean Hannity. “Of course, it was frustrating. It — everybody thought he had WMD. Everybody being every intelligence service, everybody in the administration .” “No one was more shocked or angry than I was when we didn’t find the weapons.  I had a sickening feeling every time I thought about it. I still do,” Bush writes in his book. When asked by NBC’s Matt Lauer if he filtered out dissenting voices against the war, Bush retorted, “I was a dissenting voice. I didn’t want to use force. I mean force is the last option for a president. And I think it’s clear in the book that I gave diplomacy every chance to work. And I will also tell you the world’s better off without Saddam in power. And so are 25 million Iraqis.” Recently declassified documents and press accounts, however,  contradict Bush’s version of events and reveal that his administration was looking for a way to “decapitate” the Iraqi government since 2001. As Bush’s Treasury Secretary Paul O’Neill — who Bush fired for “disagreeing too many times” with him — puts it, Bush was “all about finding a way to [go to war]. That was the tone of it. The President saying ‘Go find me a way to do this.'” In 2002, Bush also reportedly told then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, while she was in a meeting with three U.S. Senators on how to approach Iraq diplomatically, “F— Saddam. We’re taking him out.” In “talking about why we needed this war,” Bush also later referenced an alleged Iraqi assassination plot against Bush’s father: “We need to get Saddam Hussein…that Mother F—– tried to take out my Dad.” Asked by Lauer if he ever considered apologizing to the American people over the war and the failure to find weapons of mass destruction,  Bush replied, “I mean, apologizing would basically say the decision was a wrong decision,” Bush replied. “And I don’t believe it was the wrong decision.”

TORTURE — ‘DAMN RIGHT’:   Bush writes that he also has no regrets about authorizing the CIA to use enhanced interrogation techniques on captured prisoners and admits  personally authorizing the illegal torture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-professed 9/11 mastermind. When asked whether the partial drowning technique could be used, Bush’s answer was emphatic: “Damn right.” In his interview with Lauer, Bush said his lawyers told him waterboarding was legal. “Because the lawyer said it was legal,” Bush rationalized. “He said it did not fall within the Anti-Torture Act. I’m not a lawyer. But you gotta trust the judgment of people around you and I do,” Bush said. He also dismissed critics like former New Jersey Governor and co-head of the 9/11 Commission Thomas Kean, who has said that the administration simply shaped the legal opinions around their intended policy. [Kean] “obviously doesn’t know,” Bush replied. “I hope Mr. Kean reads the book. That’s why I’ve written the book. He can, they can draw whatever conclusion they want. But I will tell you this.   Using those techniques saved lives. My job is to protect America and I did.” It’s not clear that torture did, however. For instance, Mohammed told U.S. military officials that he gave false information to the CIA after withstanding torture, and as a former Special Operations interrogator who worked in Iraq argues, waterboarding has actually cost American lives: “The number of U.S. soldiers who have died because of our torture policy will never be definitively known, but it is fair to say that  it is close to the number of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001,” he says. In his memoir, Bush also contends that he was “blindsided” by the photos of abused prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and twice considered accepting Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation over the incident. Bush wrote, “I knew it would send a powerful signal. I seriously considered accepting his advice. I knew it would send a powerful signal to replace the leader of the Pentagon after such a grave mistake. But a big factor held me back.  There was no obvious replacement for Don.”

KATRINA — KANYE’S COMMENTS WERE ‘THE WORST’:   Bush did accept some responsibility for the government’s slow response to Hurricane Katrina, telling Lauer, “Yes. The lack of crisp response was a failure at all levels of government.” But he seemed most disappointed about the unfortunate picture taken of him in Air Force One, flying over New Orleans, and the criticism he received over the incident. Bush said he looked “detached and uncaring” in the photo, admitting, “It’s always my fault. I should have touched down in Baton Rouge, met with the governor, and, you know, walked out and said, ‘I hear you.’ I mean, ‘We know. We understand. And we’re gonna, you know, help the state and help the locals, governments with as much resources as needed.’ And — and then got back on a flight up to Washington. I did not do that and paid a price for it.” Bush also explained his now infamous “heck of a job” comments to FEMA director Mike Brown. “My intention was simply to say to somebody who’s workin’ hard, ‘Keep workin’ hard,'” Bush rationalized. “And it turns out that– those words became a club for people to say, ‘Wait, this guy’s out of touch .'” Unfortunately for Bush, the criticism is  far harsher than that. A 2006 report compiled by House Republicans slammed what it called “a failure of leadership,” saying that the federal government’s “blinding lack of situational awareness and disjointed decision making needlessly compounded and prolonged Katrina’s horror.” The report  specifically blamed Bush, noting that “earlier presidential involvement could have speeded the response” because the president alone could have cut through bureaucratic resistance. Still, for Bush, the worst moment of the disaster — and possibly his entire presidency — came when rapper Kanye West said “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” during an NBC telethon. “I faced a lot of criticism as President,” Bush writes in his book. “I didn’t like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina   represented an all time low.” When pressed by Lauer on why “the worst moment in your Presidency was [not] watching the misery in Louisiana, but rather when someone insulted you because of that,” Bush replied, “No, I — that — and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well. There’s a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was  a disgusting moment, pure and simple.”

Protect the Arctic Refuge as a new National Monument


If last week’s election results are any indicator, we’re about to see some big changes in Congress — and not for the better. Ask Obama to protect the critical Arctic Refuge as a National Monument before new oil-hungry Reps can attack it with drills. 


Don Hazen
Executive Editor, AlterNet.org

 

Dear friend of Alaska wilderness, 

Congress has some crazy ideas for the Arctic Refuge, but we’re keeping it wild!

Tell President Obama to declare the Arctic Refuge a National Monument!

Election night confirmed it: The U.S. Congress is about to change dramatically.

To the new extremists in power, the tragic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is long forgotten. Don’t think for an instant that “Drill, baby, drill” isn’t on the tip of their tongues – or at the top of their agendas. The attacks on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge will begin immediately. They will be brutal and constant.

But what if I told you that we could protect the Arctic Refuge before Congress ever bangs a gavel next year?

Click here now: Tell President Obama to protect the Arctic Refuge as a new National Monument!

Congress sure has some crazy ideas for the Refuge, but we’re keeping it wild! Today, we’re launching a massive online effort called “Keeping It Wild!” to convince President Obama to declare the Arctic Refuge our newest National Monument. It’s both a stepping stone to future protections and a maneuver to help shield the Refuge from congressional attacks.

The Arctic is one of our last refuges for wildlife – invaluable, iconic and alive! Big mammals still roam this land and millions of the world’s birds feed and nest on the plains. They come here each year, seeking refuge from a world of encroaching hazards to receive their most sacred needs: sustenance and safe harbor for bearing their young. For 50 years, this cycle has remained unhindered by human development, so life in the Arctic Refuge has continued to thrive. As Americans, we have a moral and civic duty to ensure that this cycle is not broken – not on our watch.

The time for action is now: with Congress poised to change significantly and the Refuge’s 50th anniversary only weeks away, President Obama can make a real statement that America will not submit its greatest treasures to the follies of the past or the whims of the present.

Tell the President: Protect the Arctic Refuge as a National Monument!

Alaska Wilderness League is the first line of defense for the Arctic Refuge. We’re keeping it wild – but we can’t do it alone.

Thank you for all that you do,

Cindy Shogan
Executive Director
Alaska Wilderness League

Urgent Action for Women and Families


Urgent Action for Women and Families
The final days of the 111th Congress begin November 16. With your help, we can make critical progress for women and families, including those who need it most.

On November 16, the House and Senate will reconvene for a lame duck session to complete the business of the 111th Congress. On the agenda are issues of great importance to women and families. The National Women’s Law Center is pulling out all the stops to get a just and fair outcome on these critical issues.

Please make an emergency donation for women and families today.

Here are some of our urgent lame-duck session action items:

1. Responsible Taxes

The Bush-era tax cuts will expire on December 31 unless Congress acts. The Center is working to ensure that cuts for individuals earning more than $200,000 and couples earning more than $250,000 a year expire as scheduled and that recent improvements in tax credits for working families are renewed. Otherwise, a single mother with two children working full-time at the minimum wage will lose nearly $1,500 and the very wealthy will receive an average tax cut of more than $100,000.

2. Pay Equity

Women in America still make only 77 cents for every dollar men earn. To narrow the wage gap and strengthen wage discrimination protections, the House passed the landmark Paycheck Fairness Act in January 2009. We expect the Senate to take the bill up next week. Your support will help us mobilize even more women and men to tell the Senate that Women are Not WorthLess and that it should pass the Paycheck Fairness Act now.

3. Unemployment Insurance Coverage

The federal emergency unemployment insurance program for workers out of a job more than 26 weeks expires at the end of November. More than a million people will face cutoffs in December alone if Congress does not act quickly. With your support, we will urge Congress to extend this emergency program.

4. Child Care and Head Start

Congress must complete a final spending bill to prevent funding cuts to child care, Head Start, and other essential programs. If Congress fails to act to preserve recent increases in funding, newly opened classrooms will be forced to shut down, child care providers may find themselves out of business, and parents will lose essential child care. We’ll press policymakers to pass a spending bill that averts these devastating consequences.

_________________________________

Our experts are working round the clock to urge Congress to act on these and other critical fronts, including confirmation of 23 highly qualified judges who have been waiting for months for a floor vote and lifting a ban on abortion care for U.S. servicewomen using their own private money in military health facilities overseas.

Only days are left to enact these urgent measures. For women and families across the country, please make an emergency donation today.

Sincerely,

Nancy Duff Campbell Nancy Duff Campbell
Co-President
National Women’s Law Center
Marcia Greenberger Marcia Greenberger
Co-President
National Women’s Law Center

P.S. For more than 35 years, the National Women’s Law Center has led the fight for women and families through good times and bad. We’re used to winning tough fights, and we have a track record t

Update: Shirvell dismissed from MI Attorney General’s office


CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) – An assistant Michigan attorney general has been fired for harassing the openly gay president of the University of Michigan student body, Attorney General Mike Cox said Monday. Andrew Shirvell “repeatedly violated office policies, engaged in borderline stalking behavior and inappropriately used state resources,” Cox said.

Related: Michigan employee with blog on gay student takes leave of absence

Earlier: Michigan attorney general defends employee’s right to blog

Earlier: Assistant attorney general blogs against gay student body president