1620 – The Mayflower Compact was signed by the 41 men on the Mayflower when they landed in what is now Province town Harbor near Cape Cod. The compact called for “just and equal laws.”
1831 – Nat Turner, a slave and educated minister, was hanged in Jerusalem, VA, after inciting a violent slave uprising.
1851 – The telescope was patented by Alvan Clark.
1868 – The first indoor amateur track and field meet was held by the New York Athletic Club.
1880 – Australian outlaw and bank robber Ned Kelly was hanged at the Melbourne jail at age 25.
1887 – Labor Activists were hanged in Illinois after being convicted of being connected to a bombing that killed eight police officers.
1889 – Washington became the 42nd state of the United States.
1918 – World War I came to an end when the Allies and Germany signed an armistice. This day became recognized as Veteran’s Day in the United States.
1918 – Poland was reestablished shortly after the surrender of Germany.
1920 – The body of an unknown British soldier was buried in Westminster Abbey. The service was recorded with the first electronic recording process developed by Lionel Guest and H.O. Merriman.
1938 – Kate Smith first sang Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” on network radio.
1940 – The Jeep made its debut.
1942 – During World War II, Germany completed its occupation of France.
1946 – The New York Knickerbockers (now the Knicks) played their first game at Madison Square Garden.
1952 – The first video recorder was demonstrated by John Mullin and Wayne Johnson in Beverly Hills, CA.
1965 – The government of Rhodesia declared its independence from Britain. The country later became known as Zimbabwe.
1965 – Walt Disney announced a project in Florida.
Disney movies, music and books
1975 – Civil war broke out when Angola gained independence from Portugal.
1981 – Stuntman Dan Goodwin scaled the outside of the 100-story John Hancock Center in Chicago in about six hours.
1981 – The U.S.S. Ohio was commissioned at the Electric Boat Division in Groton, CT. It was the first Trident class submarine.
1984 – The Reverend Martin Luther King Sr. died in Atlanta at age 84.
1986 – Sperry Rand and Burroughs merged to form “Unisys,” becoming the second largest computer company.
1987 – Vincent Van Gogh’s “Irises” was sold for a then record 53.9 million dollars in New York.
1988 – Police in Sacramento, CA, found the first of seven bodies buried on the grounds of a boardinghouse. Dorothea Puente was later charged in the deaths of nine people, convicted of three murders and sentenced to life in prison.
1990 – Stormie Jones, the world’s first heart-liver transplant recipient, died at a Pittsburgh hospital at age 13.
1991 – The U.S. stationed its first diplomat in Cambodia in 16 years to help the nation arrange democratic elections.
1992 – Russian President Boris Yeltsin told U.S. senators in a letter that Americans had been held in prison camps after World War II. Some were “summarily executed,” but others were still living in his country voluntarily.
1992 – The Church of England voted to ordain women as priests.
1993 – In Washington, DC, the Vietnam Women’s Memorial was dedicated to honor the more than 11,000 women who had served in the Vietnam War.
1994 – In Gaza, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives at an Israeli military checkpoint killing three soldiers.
1997 – The Eastman Kodak Company announced that they were laying off 10,000 employees.
1997 – Roger Clemens (Toronto Blue Jays) became the third major league player to win the Cy Young Award four times.
1998 – Jay Cochrane set a record for the longest blindfolded skywalk. He walked on a tightrope between the towers of the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas, NV. The towers are 600 feet apart.
1998 – Vincente Fernandez received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1998 – Israel’s Cabinet ratified a land-for-peace agreement with the Palestinians.
2002 – Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates pledged $100 million to fight AIDS in India.
- Bob EvansVeterans and active military personnel can stop into any Bob Evans location any time on Wednesday, November 11, to receive a free meal.The Veterans Day free meal choices include Hand-Breaded Crispy Fried Chicken, Country Biscuit Breakfast, Brioche French Toast, the Mini Sampler, Stack of Hotcakes, Country Fried Steak, or Soup & Salad Combo. This is for dine-in only, and beverages and gratuity aren’t included.You’ll need to bring proof of military service to get your Veterans Day free meal. This can include a U.S. Uniformed Services (current or retired) Identification Card, a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), DD214, a Veterans’ organization card (American Legion or VFW, for example), or citation/commendation. Guests wearing a military uniform on Veterans Day also are eligible.
- Famous Dave’sThe Veterans Day free meal at Famous Dave’s is a Georgia chopped pork sandwich plus one side. This offer is valid all day on Wednesday, November 11, at participating Famous Dave’s locations. Valid for dine-in, to go, or online ordering only on 11/11/20. Only one meal (valued up to $7.49) per Veteran or active military person with valid identification.
- White CastleWhite Castle is giving out a free Combo Meal (#1-#6) or a free Breakfast Combo Meal to any veteran or other military members who come in on Veterans Day, Wednesday, November 11th.A military ID is required to get the complimentary meal. Be sure to contact your local White Castle restaurant ahead of time to confirm that they’re participating.
- Little CaesarsVeterans and active military members can visit Little Caesars on Wednesday, November 11th, from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM for a free $5 Lunch Combo.This Veterans Day free meal includes four slices of Little Caesars Detroit-style DEEP!DEEP!™ Dish pizza, plus a 20 oz Pepsi product.You don’t need a coupon to redeem this free meal for Veterans Day. Just mention this offer and present proof of service, which can include an ID card with a veteran designation, a DD-214 form, or a current military-issued ID card.
- Dunkin’ DonutsTo show their support, Dunkin’ Donuts is giving away free donuts to active duty military and veterans on Wednesday, November 11, 2020.This free Veterans Day donut is limited to one per customer while supplies last and is for dine-in only, but no purchase or military ID is required.It’s possible that not every Dunkin’ Donuts location is participating, so be sure to call ahead to double-check.Continue to 13 of 50 below.https://dbb8316078d015682ff110c23664ca6e.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html
- Buffalo Wild WingsBuffalo Wild Wings is having their annual Veterans Day free food deal on Veterans Day, which is Wednesday, November 11. All day, veterans and active duty military get a free order of boneless wings and a side of fries.This offer is valid at participating Buffalo Wild Wings locations and is for dine-in or takeout.Proof of military service is required, which can include a permanent or temporary military ID card, DD214, or veteran’s card. You may also come wearing your military uniform or bring a photo of you wearing it.
- Cracker BarrelOn Veterans Day, Wednesday the 11th, Cracker Barrel is giving veterans the choice between a free Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake dessert, a slice of Fruit Cobbler, or their All-American Apple Pie.All locations are participating in this Veterans Day free food offer this year
- Pie Five PizzaAny veteran or active military member, and current or past member of the Armed Forces or Department of Defense, can visit a participating Pie Five Pizza location on November 11 for a free personal pizza.This Veterans Day free meal is valid in stores only and requires military ID or some other proof of service.
- Freddy’s Frozen Custard & SteakburgersVisit a Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers near you this Veterans Day, November 11, to get a free combo meal card. You must be a veteran or active duty military to pick up the card, but it can be redeemed by anyone through November 30, 2020.
- Menchie’sThis is the eighth Veterans Day that Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt has given out a freebie for Veterans Day. Veterans and active-duty military can get the first 6 oz. of frozen yogurt for free.This offer is valid all day long at participating Menchie’s locations, and you need to show military ID to receive this Veterans Day freebie.
- Bar LouieBar Louie is giving away free Veterans Day food on Wednesday, November 11, to veterans and active duty military members.This free burger or free flatbread offer is valid at participating Bar Louie locations. Visit that link to find your local restaurant and see if they’ll be offering this deal this year. You’ll need to show proof of military service to get your free Veterans Day meal. The meal is for dine-in only and is valid for up to a $15 value.
- Max & Erma’sMax & Erma’s will be honoring veterans and active military personnel by giving out a free Best Cheeseburger in America with endless seasoned fries, a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie, and a fountain drink on Veterans Day.This Veterans Day free meal offer is valid only at participating Max & Erma’s, so be sure to contact your local restaurant before heading out or check this list. Proof of military service is necessary.
- Tap House GrillAnother place veterans, active, and inactive military personnel can receive a complimentary meal on Veterans Day is Tap House Grill.This free meal offer is for dine-in only on November 11, 2020, and includes all Tap House Grill locations.
- Country KitchenActive duty military and veterans can stop by a participating Country Kitchen location any time on Wednesday, November 11, to get a free Country Scramble, which includes two pancakes with scrambled eggs mixed with ham and cheese.Valid proof of service is necessary. This Veterans Day free meal offer is for dine-in only and cannot be combined with other discounts or offers.
- Hy-VeeVeterans and active duty military, plus their families, can stop into a Hy-Vee store on November 11 to receive a fresh breakfast brought to your vehicle via curbside pick-up between 6 AM and 10 AM.Dine-in meals might also be available but with capacity limitations, and all stores are said to be participating. However, you might still check with a Hy-Vee near you to confirm.Veterans and active military members can also get 10% off their in-store grocery purchases on Veterans Day.
- Shoney’sParticipating Shoney’s will be having a Veterans Day free all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet in 2020 for veterans as well as active duty military.Proof of military service might be required, it’s for dine-in only from open until 11 AM on the 11th, and beverages, tax, and gratuity aren’t included in the free offer. Find a Shoney’s near you.Although this free Veterans Day offer isn’t compatible with other offers and discounts, Shoney’s also gives out a 15% discount all year long to the Armed Forces, Police, Fire Department, EMT Units, and anyone else with proof of service.
LaMar’s DonutsVeterans and active military personnel can visit a participating LaMar’s Donuts and Coffee location to get a free donut and 12 oz. coffee on Wednesday, November 11.No coupon or purchase is necessary, but the offer doesn’t apply to specialty donuts. Just bring military ID or wear your uniform to redeem this free Veterans Day offer.
- TooJay’sVets and active military members get free food at TooJay’s when they choose from a special Veterans Day menu on November 11.This year’s menu includes the following: Shepherd’s Pie, Open Faced Turkey Sandwich, Chopped Sirloin, Fish and Chips Lunch, Black Bean Burger, Choose Too Half Sandwich and Soup, Create Your Own Omelette, Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Bacon, Chicken Caesar Salad, Patty Melt, Deli Dogs, Chicken Tenders, and Liver and Onions.You can redeem this offer at TooJay’s when you present your military ID or other proof of service and show this coupon. No other offers can be used at the same time and it isn’t valid for online orders (only dine-in and takeout).Call ahead to your local TooJay’s to make sure they’re participating.
- Glory Days GrillWith proper ID, veterans can enjoy a free appetizer or an order of boneless or grilled boneless wings at Glory Days Grill on Wednesday, November 11.This Veterans Day free meal is available at Glory Days Grill restaurants in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and West Virginia. Any valid form of military ID is acceptable.
- Green MillThis Veterans Day free offer from Green Mill is for veterans who show proof of service.Eligible customers can pick any one item from their menu (pizza is limited to a small 1-topping deep dish, and Wing Samplers are excluded). This offer is for dine-in only. Contact your local Green Mill Restaurant & Bar to see if they’re participating.Green Mill also gives out a 10% discount to veterans and active-duty military all year long.
- Friendly’sFriendly’s is giving veterans and active military a free Veterans Day lunch or dinner (dine-in only) on Wednesday, November 11.Eligible customers will receive a free All-American Burger (with or without cheese) served with fries and a drink.You’ll need to present your military ID or honorable discharge card to get this Veterans Day freebie at a Friendly’s near you. It’s possible that not all locations are participating, so you might call ahead of time to confirm.
- Country CookinCountry Cookin will be offering a free salad bar on Veterans Day to all active, reserve, retired, and honorably discharged veterans. The free meal deal is available only on Wednesday, November 11.If eligible guests would rather have something else off the menu, they can take advantage of a $5 off coupon for any meal on Veterans Day.Be sure to bring along your military ID to your local Country Cookin to take advantage of this Veterans Day free meal. This offer is for dine-in only.
- Twin PeaksActive and retired military members can visit Twin Peaks on Wednesday, November 11, for a complimentary Veterans Day meal. Options include chicken tenders, Carolina pulled pork sandwich, cheeseburger, and the wedge. Contact your local Twin Peaks location before heading out to make sure they’re participating.
- Ben’s Soft PretzelsThis Amish-inspired soft pretzel bakery is offering veterans a free Jumbo Soft Pretzel on Wednesday the 11th.You should call ahead of time to see if your local Ben’s Soft Pretzels is participating in this Veterans Day offer. Proof of military service might be required.
- Logan’s RoadhouseLogan’s Roadhouse serves veterans and military personnel a free entree from a special menu this Veterans Day in honor of their service. The free meal offer is valid from 3 PM to 6 PM. Proof of military service is required. Find a Logan’s Roadhouse near you to take advantage of this free meal, but call ahead before you arrive to ensure that they’re participating.
- Coffee BeaneryParticipating Coffee Beanery locations will be giving veterans and active duty military a free tall cup of coffee all day long on Wednesday, November 11. Military ID is required to get the free coffee.
- 54th Street Grill54th Street Grill will be having a free meal up to a $12 value for veterans and active military on Veterans Day. This is for dine-in only and is valid on November 11 only. Proof of military service is appreciated and can be shown via military ID or by visiting in uniform or showing a photo in uniform. Find out where a 54th Street Grill is near you.
- Juice It Up! Free 20 oz classic smoothies at Juice It Up! are up for grabs for veterans and active military on Wednesday, November 11. Find a Juice It Up! near you for the menu and to confirm if they’re participating in this Veterans Day free food offer. It’s for in-store only and can’t be combined with other offers. Military ID or another proof of service, like wearing your uniform, is necessary.
- CattlemensCattlemens restaurants is giving out an 8 oz sirloin steak dinner to all active, inactive, and retired military personal. This Veterans Day free meal is only valid on November 11; doors open at 4 PM. Be sure to bring along your military ID in case you’ll need it. You can call your local Cattlemen to confirm whether they’re participating and if you need to bring proof of service.
- Crooked Pint Ale HouseAnother way veterans can get a free meal on Veterans Day in 2020 is from Crooked Pint Ale House. We recommend contacting a Crooked Pint Ale House location near you to confirm that they’re participating there before you head out. A 10% discount is also available all year long.
- WienerschnitzelWienerschnitzel sells millions of hot dogs every year, and for Veterans Day this November 11, eligible customers can have a chili dog and small fries free, plus a small Pepsi. There are hundreds of locations, but not all of them may be participating, so be sure to contact your local Wienerschnitzel to double-check. This Veterans Day free food is for both active military members as well as veterans who can provide military ID or who show up in their military uniform.
- Mission BBQOn Veterans Day, November 11, Mission BBQ locations will be giving away free sandwiches to veterans. Military ID is not required to get this Veterans Day free food offer.
- Farmer BoysIf you’re a veteran, stop by Farmer Boys with your valid ID on Veterans Day, Wednesday the 11th, for a free Big Cheese cheeseburger.Check with your local Farmer Boys to see if they’re having this deal or visit the link above for the list of participating restaurants. The deal is valid in the drive-thru, carryout, and via phone orders for all participating locations.
- City BarbequeAll military members and veterans can visit City Barbeque on Wednesday, November 11, for Veterans Day to get a free sandwich platter. This Veterans Day free food offer includes not only a free sandwich but also two sides and a regular drink.Any eligible customer who’d prefer to wait to receive their complimentary meal can get a free meal voucher that’s redeemable through mid–2021. Vouchers are available for pickup on Veterans Day only. Every City Barbeque location is participating.
- Chicken Salad ChickOn November 11, 2020, all Chicken Salad Chick locations are giving out a free Chick Special and regular size drink in honor of Veterans Day.Veterans and active-duty military can take advantage of this Veterans Day free meal. Proof of service might be required, which can usually be a VA card, DD214 card, or military ID.
- NekterIf you’re a veteran or active military member, you can stop in to Nekter’s on Veterans Day, November 11, for a free 16oz smoothie or juice.You can take advantage of this free Veterans Day offer at your local Nekter location, but it’s possible that not all of them are participating, so you might call ahead of time to double-check.Bring proof of military service with you in case you need it.
- GrubAny active, former, or retired military member can get a complimentary entree at any Grub location on Wednesday, November 11, for Veterans Day.You must be able to show your military ID or come wearing your uniform before you can take part in this Veterans Day free meal offer from Grub.Grub also provides a year-round 10% discount for veterans who present a valid military I.D. or wear their uniform at the time of purchase.
- Bandana’s Bar-B-QOn Wednesday, November 11, veterans and active military eat free at Bandana’s Bar-B-Q.This free Veterans Day food offer is a Budget Buster meal, which is 3 oz of their signature BBQ served with one piece of garlic bread and your choice of two sides. Choose from ribs, pork, chicken, brisket, turkey, or sausage.Proof of service is necessary, so be sure to bring your military ID or some other proof with you when you visit your local Bandana’s Bar-B-Q.
- Cotton Patch CafeCotton Patch Cafe is giving out free Veterans Day meals to veterans and active military on November 11, 2020.You can get a free Chicken Fried Steak or Chicken Fried Chicken as long as you bring along a form of military ID to your local Cotton Patch Cafe on Veterans Day.
- Pilot Flying JIn honor of Veterans Day, a free breakfast combo is available for all US military veterans who visit a Pilot Flying J location from November 9 through November 15.This Veterans Day free food offer includes a free Pilot coffee of any size and one free breakfast offering, such as the french toast sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich.You need the Pilot Flying J app to redeem this offer.
- Smoothie KingOn Veterans Day this year, all members of the military—including veterans, retired, and active military—can get a free, 20 oz smoothie of their choosing at any participating Smoothie King location.You must bring valid military ID or another proof of service in order to redeem the offer. It’s good only in stores.
- Free Meals That Require a Food PurchaseDanielBendjy / Getty ImagesThese Veterans Day free meals or free food require a purchase:
- Laundry’s Inc. – All locations (excluding Golden Nugget restaurants) are giving veterans 20% of their bill on November 11. Party can’t exceed four and valid ID is required.
- McCormick & Schmick’s – Veterans with valid ID get 50% off an entree on Sunday, November 8, 2020.
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit – Military service members get a free Classic Sandwich & Side on November 11 with a $10 minimum purchase. Valid in-stores and online with code VETFREE.
- Houlihan’s Restaurant & Bar – Veterans, active duty military, and military families get $10 off a $30 food purchase on Veterans Day, Wednesday the 11th. Participating restaurants include Chicago, Columbus, Cleveland, Dallas, Kansas City, Long Island, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh.
- Margaritas Mexican Restaurant – From November 10 through November 15, veterans and active-duty military who dine-in with valid military ID get 50% off an entrée.
- CentraArchy Restaurants – Veterans and active military get 50% off of any meal from the menu on Veterans Day this year. Valid ID is required and only some locations are participating.
- Location-Specific Free Meals Ariel Skelley / Getty ImagesBelow are even more Veterans Day free meals, but they’re valid at only one or two locations.
- Tuscan Kitchen Salem – On November 11, Tuscan Kitchen Salem will offer to-go meals for Salem NH veterans. They are 2-person cold meals prepared in microwave-safe containers that can be enjoyed at home.
- The Rustic – On November 11, The Rustic locations in Texas are giving away free Rustic Burgers to veterans and active military who show valid military ID.
- Bombshells Restaurant & Bar – All 10 locations in Texas will provide free meals and drinks for veterans and active service members on Wednesday, November 11. Accompanying family members will receive a 20% discount. Valid military ID is requested.
Please Plan Call to make sure the offers described are accurate as this is not my post … but a great post by