Are you ready for the icy roads, extreme cold, and loss of heat, power, and communications that winter storms can bring?
oh, king county says you can now text to 911 though they really suggest calling is better !
A few thoughts on preparing:
- Check the antifreeze levels in your car.
- Keep a flashlight, extra batteries, a windshield scraper, a shovel, booster cables, water, snacks, hats and mittens in your vehicle.
- Insulate pipes in your home and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Keep fire extinguishers in your home, and make sure everyone knows how to use them.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms outside bedrooms and on each floor of your home.
- Have rock salt or an environmentally friendly alternative on hand to melt ice on walkways. Have sand to improve traction.
- Check out more good tips on what to do before, during and after winter storms and extreme cold.