Sherman’s March to the Sea (also known as the Savannah Campaign or simply Sherman’s March) was a military campaign of the American Civil War conducted through Georgia from November 15 until December 21, 1864, by Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman of the Union Army. The campaign began with Sherman’s troops leaving the captured city of Atlanta on November 15 and ended with the capture of the port of… en.wikipedia.org
The official first day of winter is the winter solstice, which falls on December 21 st each year. However, in meteorology, we consider the first day of winter to be the first day of December. The meteorological winter in the Northern Hemisphere runs from the first of December until the last day of February.
for more information … see below
Are you ready for the icy roads, extreme cold, and loss of heat, power, and communications that winter storms can bring?
oh, king county says you can now text to 911 though they really suggest calling is better !
A few thoughts on preparing:
- Check the antifreeze levels in your car.
- Keep a flashlight, extra batteries, a windshield scraper, a shovel, booster cables, water, snacks, hats and mittens in your vehicle.
- Insulate pipes in your home and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Keep fire extinguishers in your home, and make sure everyone knows how to use them.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms outside bedrooms and on each floor of your home.
- Have rock salt or an environmentally friendly alternative on hand to melt ice on walkways. Have sand to improve traction.
- Check out more good tips on what to do before, during and after winter storms and extreme cold.