1974 Frank Robinson was named the first African-American manager in major league baseball.
1838 – Frederick Douglass boarded a train in Maryland on his way to freedom from being a slave.
- 1930 Hurricane batters Dominican Republic
- 1783 Treaty of Paris signed
- 1939 Britain and France declare war on Germany
- 1861 Confederate forces enter Kentucky
- 1833 – The first successful penny newspaper in the U.S., “The New York Sun,” was launched by Benjamin H. Day.
- 2013 – Hunters in Mississippi caught a 727-pound alligator.
- 1989 – The U.S. began shipping military aircraft and weapons, worth $65 million, to Columbia in its fight against drug lords.under G.H W Bush