There’s major news in the fight to secure Donald Trump’s tax returns.
The U.S. Court of Appeals of the D.C. Circuit just ruled that, “Contrary to the President’s arguments, the [House Oversight and Reform] Committee possesses authority under both the House Rules and the Constitution to issue the subpoena, and Mazars must comply.”
This is the opinion of the second most important court in the country, right below the U.S. Supreme Court.
Back in April, this House Committee subpoenaed a decade of the president’s financial records from his long-time accounting firm, Mazars USA. Now, the court has affirmed that Mazars must comply.
This is the biggest breakthrough yet in our fight to get our hands on Donald Trump’s tax returns. We are one major step closer to knowing how Trump is using his office to personally benefit from the laws he signs and the policies he implements.
We won’t rest until we see Trump’s personal and business tax returns and there are five additional fights, currently all in the courts, to secure and release Trump’s tax returns.
Donate $5 or more to Americans for Tax Fairness Action Fund today to support our work to make Trump’s tax returns public and hold him accountable to the Americans people.
Here’s a look at the other fights that are currently before the courts:
• The “NY TRUST Act” passed and signed into law in July, would allow the release of Trump’s state tax returns to Congress. Trump and his lawyers have temporarily blocked this law from taking effect, pending a judge’s ruling.
• The “Presidential Tax Transparency and Accountability Act” was signed into law by California Governor Gavin Newsom back in July and requires all presidential candidates to publicly release their tax returns in order to appear on the 2020 primary ballot. This law was subsequently blocked by a federal judge. It appears that Newsom (D) will appeal this court ruling.
• The Manhattan District Attorney has subpoenaed eight years of Trump’s personal and business tax returns from his longtime accounting firm Mazars USA related to the DA’s investigation into hush money payments allegedly made by Trump and his businesses to former mistresses right before the 2016 election (likely illegal campaign contributions).
• The House Financial Services and Intelligence Committees have filed subpoenas with Deutsche Bank and Capital One seeking the tax returns of Donald Trump and his three eldest children. This case currently resides before a federal appeals court in New York.
• The House Ways and Means Committee has subpoenaed the Treasury Department and the IRS after Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin denied the committee’s request for six years of Trump’s federal tax returns. This case currently resides in the courts.
From even before he became president, Americans for Tax Fairness Action Fund has been leading the national call to get our hands on Trump’s tax returns. Whether it’s alleged tax fraud as outlined by the New York Times, or how he and his family are personally benefiting from his administration’s policies, it’s up to us to demand transparency and hold Donald Trump accountable.
Pitch in $5 or more today to get our hands on Donald Trump’s tax returns!
Thank you for all of your hard work,
Americans for Tax Fairness Action Fund
 “Trump loses appeal to withhold financial records from Democrats,” Politico, October 11, 2019
 “These Are All The Ways Democrats Are Trying To Get Trump’s Tax Returns Released,” Forbes, October 3, 2019
 “California to appeal ruling that blocks law requiring Trump disclose tax returns in order to appear on ballot: report,” The Hill, October 8, 2019
 “Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father,” New York Times, October