Paul Ryan (R, WI-1, “Boy Scout”, P90X enthusiast) is retiring. WE REPEAT, PAUL RYAN IS RETIRING.
And literally as we were writing this email, another Rep. Dennis Ross (R, FL-15) announced his retirement. Just last week, we endorsed Andrew Learned, a Democrat hoping to win the Florida primary in August and take on Ross (who whipped votes for TrumpCare) in November.
We can’t understate this: this news is HUGE.
When Republicans got to Washington on January 3, 2017, they were ready to use the orange one in the White House as a cover for their draconian agenda. But you showed up, week after week, month after month… you never let up. You put pressure on your members of Congress (MoCs) and Congressional leadership to let them know you weren’t going to stand for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act or the mass deportation of Dreamers and their families.
To put it simply: you stopped their agenda and had even the most powerful MoCs in Washington shaking in their boots.
And you kept it up by holding these MoCs accountable when they took bad votes. When the House passed the Tax Scam, Indivisibles held retirement parties to tell their MoCs say to their seats in November:
Ryan and Ross are now on the long list of dozens of House Republicans who decided to throw in the towel and retire, instead of face Democratic challengers (and you!) at the polls this November:
- Trent Franks (AZ-8)
- Darrell Issa (CA-49)
- Dave Trott (MI-11)
- Pat Tiberi (OH-12)
- Ryan Costello (PA-6)
- Tim Murphy (PA-18)
- Lamar Smith (TX-21)
- Bob Goodlatte (VA-6)
- Dave Reichert (WA-8)
- And dozens more!
In short, Ryan is only the latest and biggest rat to abandon the sinking ship. They all see what we see: the big blue wave is coming. Indivisibles in-district, on their home turf were relentless and creative and bold in their accountability, and inspired nationwide energy to force Republicans out of Congress.
- Indivisible Roanoke showed up literally on day one to Goodlatte’s office to hold him accountable for trying to gut the Congressional Ethics Office.
- The day before Issa retired, Indivisible groups in San Diego held a retirement party for him (oh, and they showed up 49 weeks in a row before that).
- And when Costello retired, he said, “I think everybody is aware of what the environment is because they deal with Indivisible people outside their office every week protesting.”
- Paul Ryan faced Indivisibles e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e he went, not just on his home turf.
Here’s the part where we ask you for money
The blue wave we all want in November won’t build itself, and we can’t wait until September or October to get to work. Indivisible groups are everywhere, and we want to support them with organizers on the ground. So we’re doing something big: we’re doubling the number of regional organizers we have on the ground to support, train, and electoralize our resistance.
Organizers are the front-line support team for local Indivisible groups: providing information, training, and help with coordination with other Indivisible groups and partner organizations. Here’s what doubling our organizing team will mean to Indivisibles on the ground:
- We’ll put an organizer on the ground in the 10 most urgent states to flipping the House, Senate, and key governors’ races — Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas.
- We’ll work with hundreds of Indivisible groups to recruit volunteers, register voters, and reach out to them every way we can — through canvassing, phone-banking, and peer-to-peer texting — to grow this movement and the blue wave coming on election day.
- And for Indivisible groups who’ve endorsed candidates, we’ll provide support and strategic guidance from an organizer, voter contact tools, and also help identify and drive volunteers’ energy on these races, well before November.
There are now 43 House GOP members who’ve resigned in disgrace or announced they’re not running for re-election. In honor of Paul Ryan being number 43, would you consider throwing in $43 to support Indivisible’s election organizing plan?
The resistance is fueled by individuals taking action, and Indivisible is fueled by individual donations like yours. Paul Ryan has the Koch’s, and look at what that got him. We’ve got you, and we’re going to win. Throw in whatever you can — we’re building this wave together.
The Indivisible Team